NokiaCooker v 2.9 by Marco Bellino (Il.Socio)

NikShiP

Posted Image

Description

NokiaCooker is a PC software reserved to the Cookers, which allows to modify the files containing the phone's firmware to create customized firmwares versions named Cooked-Firmware.

Nokia Cooker can modify data which is located in:

- UDA

- CORE (only ROFS1 data)

- ROFS

- ROFx

It can't modify data located in the CORE yet.

Not all the ROFS/ROFx can be modded!

Modding a protected ROFS/ROFx you'll risk to brick the phone.

If you aren't sure that your ROFS/ROFx can be modded, don't do it.

The modding of the UDA, instead, is always a safe operation.

This software is provided "as is" with no warranty whatsoever, express or implied and moreover, WITHOUT any technical support, so, DO NOT contact me about this, because you WILL NOT receive any reply.

If you don't know how to install, or how to use it, probably you don't need Nokia Cooker at all.

As per Author's Words :

NokiaCooker v2.9 Change-Log:

- Fixed: error message "can not read from the end of the stream" when repacking some UDA files (eg. X7)

NokiaCooker v2.8 Change-Log:

- Fixed: removed message "This version is too much old".

NokiaCooker v2.7 Change-Log:

- Fixed: then error message "key not present in the dictionary" was shown in some circumstances during repack.

- Improved: NaviFirm+ plugin has been updated to the latest version 1.7

Nokia Cooker v2.6 Change-Log:

- Fixed: Extend ROFS1 feature was broken due to the 2.5 changes related to the Unlock ROFS.

NokiaCooker v2.5 Change-Log:

- Fixed: sometimes the following message was wrongly shown when saving the fw file "Error repacking fw, Block position has changed!"

- Improved: Unlock ROFS feature has been rewritten to support a larger set of core files.

- Improved: NokiaCooker adds its own signature to the file \resource\versions\customersw.txt

NokiaCooker v2.4 Change-Log:

- New: I've only added a personal message to Cookers :) It will be shown after the fw has been repacked.

NokiaCooker v2.3.1 Change-Log:

- Fixed: the final CRC value was still wrong for some fw files.

NokiaCooker v2.3 Change-Log:

- Fixed: a quick, but important, bug-fix. In the previous version, the changes to the ROFS1 (CORE) were not applied.

NokiaCooker v2.2 Change-Log:

- New: added new option to extract the ROM. You can find it inside the menu "Advanced > Extract ROM to File..."

- Improved: reports an error when trying to open corrupted firmware files.

- Improved: slightly changes to the fw parsing engine.

- Fixed: the final CRC value was wrong for files < 1Mb.

- Fixed: "Can't detect Partition Data" error when opening an unkown image format.

NokiaCooker v2.1 Change-Log:

- New: you can extend the ROFS1 partition to the maximum size.

- New: added Yellow status for the Estimated Size.

.When it is marked in Red, the repack will probably fail and you'll be forced to remove some data.

.When it is marked in Green the repack will probably complete successfully.

.When it is marked in Yellow, the size of the current data is near to the limits of the Partition, so you have to try to repack the fw to know exactly if it will be repacked successfully or not.

.In any case, NokiaCooker will never let you write outside of the Partition Size limits, so it will be always safe to flash the repacked fw.

- Improved: shows a confirm dialog when you attempt to close the fw file and it has not been saved yet.

- Improved: in order to grand a safe repack, 2 different checks are performed when repacking the data to be 100% sure that the new data will not exceed the maximum partition length.

- Improved: toolbars settings (text and icon size) can be customized using the right mouse button.

- Improved: added expand all / collapse all commands in the treeview.

- Improved: avoid TreeView flickering when the directory selected contains a lot of files.

- Improved: computation of the final CRC takes less memory, allowing to process bigger UDA files.

- Improved: better computation of the new blocks needed during repack.

- Improved: ROFS1 partition size detection.

- Fixed: message "NokiaCooker is running as Administrator" was wrongly shown when UAC was disabled.

- Fixed: after removing some data from the ROFS1, the filesize of the repacked fw was still unchanged.

- Fixed: shows an error when trying to repack an unsupported UDA-MMC (BlockType49)

- Fixed: drag&drop was disabled after selecting a recent fw file that didn't exist anymore

*** Informations for Developers about Plugins ***

When NokiaCooker launches your application it will pass the 4 command-line parameters below:

1) the file currently selected in the window on the right side

2) the path where the fw files have been extracted (eg: c:\nokiacooker\files\n8fw_extracted\)

3) firmware filename (eg: RM-596_011.012_U01.01_79.92_prd.uda.fpsx)

4) firmware type (UDA, ROFS, CORE, UNKNOWN)

How to read the arguments depends on the programming language you're using:

- for Delphi you should use ParamStr() ParamCount()

- for C# you can find the source code of a skeleton Plugin inside \NokiaCooker\TestPlugins\

Source

Download 2.9

nfe is best :)

I'm curious... Which features do you use in NFE that are not present in NokiaCooker? :)

On the other hand, NC provides these features which are not present in NFE (afaik):

- mod the UDA

- mod the ROFX (eg. E71)

- extend ROFS1 size

- unlock ROFS1 / ROFS2 / ROFS3 (aka ROFS calibration)

- better rebuild for some ROFS (eg. N8)

- extract ROM from the CORE

- automatically fix the CRC for the cooked fw to match the original CRC

- the changes applied directly to the extraction folder will be shown immediately and automatically inside NokiaCooker

- supports 3rd party external tools (aka plugins) (ie. ROFS Language Tool, App-Pre-Installer, NaviFirm, etc... etc...)

If you never used NC before I suggest you to try it ;)

I'm curious... Which features do you use in NFE that are not present in NokiaCooker? :)

On the other hand, NC provides these features which are not present in NFE (afaik):

- mod the UDA

- mod the ROFX (eg. E71)

- extend ROFS1 size

- the changes applied directly to the extraction folder will be shown immediately and automatically inside NokiaCooker

- supports 3rd party external tools (aka plugins) (ie. ROFS Language Tool, App-Pre-Installer, NaviFirm, etc... etc...)

+1 :)

I think some are yet to explore the actual features of Nokia cooker :)

Thanks for pointing it out and notifying...

Welcome to the forum mate !!!

Glad to see you here :)

That's the old description, related to the old versions... Indeed, the new versions can modify/unlock/extend the ROFS1 which is located in the CORE. It can't modify the ROM which is located in the CORE too... but currently doesn't exists any tool able to do that. (only RP+ running on the device can patch the ROM) @Die, nice to be here ;)

- mod the UDA

- mod the ROFX (eg. E71)

- extend ROFS1 size

yup,i have never used nc before, i didn't knew that it could do those things, i just thought that its like nokia extractor or nfe, so now i will give it a try :)

That's the old description, related to the old versions...

Indeed, the new versions can modify/unlock/extend the ROFS1 which is located in the CORE.

It can't modify the ROM which is located in the CORE too... but currently doesn't exists any tool able to do that. (only RP+ running on the device can patch the ROM)

@Die, nice to be here ;)

are you really Il.Socio ??

hehe just confirming :)

Guest prayaas1998

I'm curious... Which features do you.......If you never used NC before I suggest you to try it ;)

Question about an important feature:

Is there a built-in ResEDIT in this like NFE?

U can add tht plugin :|

Exactly! ;)

As general rule, NokiaCooker purpose is to unpack / repack the Nokia's firmware and to perform all the activities that are strictly related to the Nokia's fw files (CORE / ROFS2 / ROFS3 / UDA) nothing more, nothing less. :)

For all the other activities that are related to the Symbian's file-system

eg: adding/changing/removing files from:

/sys/

/resource/

/private/

you MUST use other external tools/plugins...

In other words, NokiaCooker works ONLY on Nokia's fw files *.fpsx (The CORE / ROFS2 / ROFS3 / UDA files that you download from NaviFirm+)

While external tools work ONLY on *.txt *.mif *.cre *.mbm *.rsc files etc... (The files that you can see in the device using X-Plore)

These are some external tools:

- ROFS Language Tool

- Application Pre-Installer

- NaviFirm+

- Nokia QWERTY Editor

- Nokia Firmware Cleaner

- Modding Tool

- MediaBar Editor

This separation has been done:

1) to give to 3rd party developers the total freedom to develop their own modding tool, in the way they like.

2) to give to the end-users the opportunity to choose between different modding tools alternatives.

3) to keep NokiaCookers boundaries well-defined and reduce the risk of bugs.

Once that you've used the external modding tool, you just need to press the "Save" button in NokiaCooker in order to repack the firmware file.

P.S.

If you like, you can associate the *.rsc file type to ResEDIT, so when you double-click on a rsc file, ResEDIT will be automatically launched.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NokiaCooker v2.7 has just been released: NokiaCooker v2.7 Change-Log: - Fixed: then error message "key not present in the dictionary" was shown in some circumstances during repack. - Improved: NaviFirm+ plugin has been updated to the latest version 1.7 download here http://www.symbian-toys.com/nokiacooker.aspx pls update it on main post.. :) :)

NokiaCooker v2.7 has just been released:

NokiaCooker v2.7 Change-Log:

- Fixed: then error message "key not present in the dictionary" was shown in some circumstances during repack.

- Improved: NaviFirm+ plugin has been updated to the latest version 1.7

download here

http://www.symbian-toys.com/nokiacooker.aspx

pls update it on main post.. :) :)

Updated... :)

+1 for the info