How to install Programs from zip files in Ubuntu

shashwat

How To Install Programs In Linux (.gz &.bz)

Ok, Many first Time Linux Users Are very confused on how to actually install programs in Linux Distribution. Through This Post I hope to provide a Complete guide To on how to install .gz , .bz and RPM files in any Linux distribution.

Why Is It made This Way In Linux??

Most First TIme Users Think That Linux is “Not That Good” becuase it doesnt just have pre compiled Installation setup files. But This is far from reality you see, Linux is about freedom of choice, so even in installing programs we can customize the program before we actually use it. And also because of this method of compiing installation files on your local computer, it makes almost any program able to run on any Distribution of Linux.

HOW TO INSTALL :

1. Start Bash (The Shell) and navigate your way to your installation file’s folder. Then type: ( Here pkg is the name of the package)

"tar xvzf pkg.tar.gz" ( If File Is a GZ) "tar xvjf pkg.tar.bz2" ( If Files is a BZ)

After this command a New Folder Would Be Created in the Same Location with the Package Name.

2.Next Move Into The Newly Created Folder.

Use "ls" command to look for the folder Then Type “cd pkg"(Enter) ( Here pkg is the Name of the Newly Created Folder )

3. Next Go Into Super User Mode. Super User Mode in Linux is Like Having temparary Admin Priviledges just to install programs and perform other complex tasks.

Type "su" (Enter)

Then Type in Your ROOT password when prompted

4. Now We’ll Install The App.

Type "./configure" (Enter)

Type "make" (Enter) Then "make install" (Enter)

Then "make clean" (Enter)

Then "exit" (Enter)

Now Your Done!!!!

i want to ask you something, i went to the ubuntu site > Alternative downloads and then torrents, there shows many torrents under the new 11.10 ubuntu, so which one should i download??

better to download from direct link rather going for torrent

Here is the direct link: http://d2ce223loljjr2.cloudfront.net/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso

You can use any download manager too :)

better to download from direct link rather going for torrent

Here is the direct link: http://d2ce223loljjr2.cloudfront.net/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso

You can use any download manager too :)

thats the main problem. I gives my dad torrents to download files as he has 3g in his office n he doesn't know how to download anything except torrent! :P n there is a huge power cuts nowadays! So just plz suggest that i shud go with ubunu64amd.torrent or ubuntu386, which are on its website

thats the main problem. I gives my dad torrents to download files as he has 3g in his office n he doesn't know how to download anything except torrent! :P n there is a huge power cuts nowadays! So just plz suggest that i shud go with ubunu64amd.torrent or ubuntu386, which are on its website

download managers could resume the download anytime :)

Here is the appropriate torrent file: http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

thanks nitesh

Welcome :)

ok nitesh ,my dad downloaded the file but wat do i do to make it work via usb?

Install Universal USB installer from here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.6.8.exe

More info with screenshots is provided here (Its pretty easy): http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

• 3 months later...

@Shashwat I would like to request you to change the title of this thread to "How to install Programs from  zip files  in Ubuntu" and remove rpm from the post . You have mentioned that this guide is for installing .gz , .bz and .rpm files but the fact is unlike .gz and .bz which are ordinary zip files in linux the .rpm files are executable files on any red hat hat system like Fedora or CentOS or OpenSUSE or RHEL etc and can be installed just by double clicking on the icon. You cannot install .rpm files in any debian based system like ubuntu without converting it into a deb package first. And to do that you need to use alien in ubuntu. So please remove the word rpm from your post and rename the thread to specify its for installing zip files only.

@Shashwat

I would like to request you to change the title of this thread to "How to install Programs from  zip files  in Ubuntu" and remove rpm from the post . You have mentioned that this guide is for installing .gz , .bz and .rpm files but the fact is unlike .gz and .bz which are ordinary zip files in linux the .rpm files are executable files on any red hat hat system like Fedora or CentOS or OpenSUSE or RHEL etc and can be installed just by double clicking on the icon. You cannot install .rpm files in any debian based system like ubuntu without converting it into a deb package first. And to do that you need to use alien in ubuntu. So please remove the word rpm from your post and rename the thread to specify its for installing zip files only.

done!

• 4 weeks later...

bro download directly from official site using ur browser whatever it is 3g or 2g it takes 2 hr extra time in 2g

and best method to do

• 11 months later...

Hi.  I am trying to install a zip file named Argyll_V1.4.0--I was not given the option to download a GZ or a BZ, so I cannot follow the directions from the earlier post.  This program will hopefully allow me to create an ICC profile.  I found this file here: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Argyll-Color-Management-System-Download-4795.html     Can you please help me, given the difficulty mentioned above?     Thank you,               Anthony

Hi.  I am trying to install a zip file named Argyll_V1.4.0--I was not given the option to download a GZ or a BZ, so I cannot follow the directions from the earlier post.  This program will hopefully allow me to create an ICC profile.  I found this file here: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Argyll-Color-Management-System-Download-4795.html

Can you please help me, given the difficulty mentioned above?

Thank you,

Anthony

execute makeall.sh using ./makeall.sh or ./makeinstall.sh

or

direct use make install........

• 5 months later...