Setting up ADB and Fastboot (Windows Only)

Hello Everyone.

Recently I received my HTC Desire S and had a difficult time sorting out how to set-up ADB and Fastboot. So I made this tutorial so others may find it easy.

Q: Why do we need to setup ADB and Fastboot?

A: Well there are many purposes of setting up ADB which even I dont know yet completely But the main reason for setting it up is required by users who have unlocked their HTC Device's bootloaders using HTCDev Unlock. This unlock is although permanent, but it conflicts when you are about to flash a Custom ROM.

People who have tried their hands-on some Custom ROMs might already know that it also contain a "boot.img" file. This file is normally flashed automatically but HTCDev Unlocked Users require to flash it manually using ADB and Fastboot.

So lets cut the crap and get going.

NOTE: This guide is intended to work for all HTC Devices but its tested and working 100% on HTC Desire S. Hence I, or any member of GizmoLord Forum shall not be held liable if you mess up your phone. You have been warned.

Firstly you need to download some development kits.

You need to install:

1- Java SE Development Kit

2- Android SDK

3- HTC Drivers for your Device.

Download Jave SE from here, Android SDK from here and for HTC Drivers , download and install HTC Sync.

After complete installation of all these three tools, only uninstall HTC Sync. This will remove the program(which would conflict with ADB afterwards) but the drivers will be kept safe.

Important: To use the adb/fastboot commands you have to enable USB Debugging in your phone Settings -> Applications -> Development menu.

You can see the ADB and fastboot files in Android SDK installation directory. Get there, and copy the platform-tools folder to C:/ drive's root (not in any folder).

Next Step, Adding to the System Path globally to use the command without browsing to the containing folder.

Go to My Computer icon -> right click and select Properties.

On the left side of the opened screen select Advanced system settings.

(Or Start -> Search -> type sysdm.cpl -> Enter, browse to the Advanced tab)

Look down on the opened menu and select Environment Variables.

In the lower half are listed the System Variables.

Scroll to find "Path" variable, select it and click Edit...

On the Edit window in the Variable value field go to the end of the line (do not delete it!) and add without any intervals (spaces):

;C:\platform-tools\
(Dont forget the ";" mark). Click Ok three times.

You're done.

To check is it working properly open Command Prompt (Start -> Search -> type cmd -> Enter) and type adb

If everything is configured properly this should list you the Android Debug Bridge version and the available commands.

If its done properly, then connect your device in USB debugging mode.

Open CMD and go to C:/platform-tools directory (this directory can ofcourse be changed but if you do so, do change the Path variable too)

type "adb devices" (w/o quotes)

If your device appears, you're good to go.

Now type some basic commands like "adb reboot recovery" to boot recovery or "adb reboot bootloader" to reboot into bootloader.

I modified this tutorial source to make it bit more easy.

Any problems setting it up or not understanding any step, leave  a reply.

• 1 month later...