Develop and Compile Metro Style Apps without WDP x64 - Tools Version

Guest prayaas1998

Guest prayaas1998

I was one of the people who thought that it's better to download Windows Developer Preview 32 bit due to it's small size. I basically didn't need to program anything. But now, I'm undertaking the project of GizmoLord RSS Metro-Style App for Windows 8. Finally, I figured out a way..

Step 1 - Download VS 11 DP from here.

Step 2 - Install it. It will install on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 8 Developer Preview (x86 or x64, both)

Now, we have *almost* everything that a person with WDP x64 (Tools Version) has.

Open VS 11. Make a new Project (Windows Application). Once you try to debug it, three errors related to some PRI will come up and deployment will be halted. Why did this happen? Because:

Now, we have *almost* everything that a person with WDP x64 (Tools Version) has.

The only thing left to install is Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview for Windows 8. As expected, it's not available anywhere as a download and install. So, it was extracted from the WDP x64 with Tools version.

Download this

It's around 21 MB compressed and will expand to 9x MB on extracting. Paste the extracted files:

For x86 (32-bit) systems: C:\Program Files\Windows Kits          (C: is your Windows Installation drive letter)

For x64 (64-bit) systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits  ("  "      "        "                "          "      "      )

Viola! You can now develop Windows 8 Apps without having to download 4.8 GB and use a 2 layer DVD9!