[Tutorial] 100% Noob's guide to full unlock Lumia 710 RM-809 ROGERS

ravi0213

100% NOOBS GUIDE TO FULL UNLOCKING ROGERS/T-MOBILE RM-809 (ALSO WORKS ON RM-803)

Note: this tutorial WILL also de-brand your Rogers/T-Mobile branded phone.

5/30/2012 WARNING (For those who have previously carrier-unlocked their phones): This tutorial involves using Nokia care suite, which WILL relock the carrier lock.

You may use the same unlock code you used previously to carrier-unlock the phone again after the procedure.

As a fellow noob, you might be asking yourself, what is inter-who? full unloc-what?

Interop-unlock = Exactly the same as your regular phone with the ability to install unsigned? XAP (apps)

Full-unlock = 100% developer unlocked phone with ability to install unsigned apps aswell

Earlier this month, when I purchased my ROGERS Lumia 710 (RM-809) I was looking through these forums and found a great community of developers that found methods to interop-unlock and full-unlock the Lumia 710.

However, there was no clear-cut step-by-step tutorial on how to do it.

To make matters worse, most of the available vague tutorials were for the RM-803 model for the 710, and not the RM-809.

I am making this tutorial to clear the confusion for noobs (such as myself) and offer a complete step-by-step tutorial to flashing your Lumia 710.

This tutorial is 100% based on MY EXPERIENCE flashing my RM-809, I CANNOT guarantee you will get the same results that I did.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE! READ ALL THE STEPS BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS TUTORIAL!!

Instructions:

1. First you must determine which bootloader you have, there are two different bootloaders, NOKIA DLOAD, and QUALCOMM.

Nokia Dload = Locked Memory (Unflashable)

Qualcomm = Unlocked Memory (Flashable)

The one we need is the Qualcomm bootloader.

In order to determine which bootloader you have on your phone, you must first power down your phone with NO wires plugged in, then while holding the VOL + button, plug in the usb cable, remain holding the VOL + buton until you feel a short vibration, then let go.

Your (windows) computer will start trying to install drivers, double click on the little moving icon in your task bar to bring up the driver software installation window.

Note: If you previously tried to determine your bootloader, windows might not try to install the drivers, instead click start --> Devices and printers, it should be listed there.

If it says Nokia DLOAD, well you have Nokia Dload, if there a bunch of things getting their drivers installed, one being Qualcomm, then you have Qualcomm xD.

IF YOU HAVE QUALCOMM WINDOWS WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU MUST FORMAT THE DRIVE, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE, IF YOU DO THE PHONE WILL BECOME BRICKED!

Now, you might be asking yourself, "Okay, so I have Nokia DLOAD, Am i out of luck?". The answer is step 2, where we downgrade your Nokia DLOAD into Qualcomm. (If you already have Qualcomm skip to step 3)

2. This was by-far the most frustrating step about my RM-809, I had no idea if flashing with the RM-803 procedure would brick my phone. I am going to guide you step by step to downgrade your Nokia DLOAD into a Qualcomm bootloader.

Here it goes:

2.1: The first thing you have to do is download a program called Nokia care suite: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0HDB8BQ0/"]HERE

And the Qualcomm files: http://www.mediafire.com/?79z739zzf5cuhxa"]Part 1 & http://www.mediafire.com/?6fed8oaz87j9ln9"]Part 2

2.2: Extract both, and install Nokia care suite (I'm going to assume you can do this basic task)

2.3: I'm not sure if you have to do this for windows 32-bit, but with windows 64-bit you must navigate to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers

2.4: Inside that folder you'll find "WinUSB Drivers x64.msi", install it.

2.5: The next step is to place your extracted Qualcomm files into the appropriate location.

2.6: Copy-paste the extracted RM-803 folder (Should have a bunch of files inside) into this directory:

C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products

Note: the "ProgramData" folder might be hidden, to view hidden folders, Press start, search "folder options", open Folder Options, click the "view" tab and press the radio button "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"

2.7: The next step is to open the nokia product support tool.

(I think there was a bug in my version of nokia care suite as i couldnt find it in the start menu, I had to open it manually from this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0\ProductSupportToolForStore.exe)

2.8: Once you have the product support tool open, make sure the drop down on the upper left says "No connection" and "Automatic product selection" is enabled".

Note: Phone should NOT be plugged in at this point

2.9: Click file.. "open product".. and choose "RM-803" and click open

2.10: Click Programming on the lower left and click "recovery".

2.11: Click on update list and a list item called "Nokia 710 RM-803 Country variant Russia RU BLACK_BLACK V3" should come up.

2.12: Click "Start" (Phone should not be plugged in at this point)

2.13: It will say that it has lost connection with your device, this is where you power down your phone, hold VOL+ and plug USB until you feel a short vibration, and let go.

2.14: Click "Retry" and it should begin Flashing your bootloader (It will like like 5 mins)

2.15: When it is complete, unplug your phone and it will reboot into a russian language, press the right button and choose english.

2.16: That's it, you now have a Qualcomm bootloader.

3. The next step involves installing linux.

Linux is a free and open source operating system. The reason we need linux is because we need the built-in "dd" command, which helps us flash the phone, and is not readily available nor stable in windows. You can use any distribution of linux, however in this tutorial i will be using Ubuntu.

Note: I have not heard of a single success story of someone using dd in windows, everyone who has tried it has bricked their phone. You have been warned.

3.1: Go http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer"]HERE and press "Start download". (It's the ubuntu installer for windows)

3.2: Install Ubuntu side-by-side with windows (Just follow the installation wizard it's very easy to follow)

Note: Now that you have Ubuntu installed you need to BOOT into Linux. You'll that if you restart your computer, you'll get a purple screen with different Operating systems to boot from, one being windows.

3.4: Highlight "Ubuntu" (I think it's the first one) from the list on the purple menu (Don't choose recovery), and press enter.

3.5: That's about it, Ubuntu will begin to load and you'll eventually be inside the operating system.

Note: To switch between ubuntu and windows just restart the computer and choose from the purple menu :)

Note: If you are a complete noob and do not understand step 3 read http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-ubuntu-with-windows"]THIS

Also: Before you boot into Ubuntu, download and extract the latest version of the Rainbow mod custom firmware for the Lumia 710 to a USB drive in windows:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1654415"]LUMIA 710 RAINBOW MOD FULL UNLOCK FIRMWARE BY LUCIFER 3006

Now boot into Ubuntu and place it in your Ubuntu home folder as shown:

Posted Image

Posted Image

4. Now that you're in Ubuntu, you're ready to backup and flash your phone, however, you must first determine the partition letter of your phone.

4.1: To do this, first open up a terminal window (ctrl + alt + t)

4.2: Next you must type the following command into the terminal window and press enter to raise your privileges:

sudo su
Note: You may need to enter your password to raise privileges

4.3: For this step make sure your phone is NOT plugged in.

Type in the following command to list all of the detected partitions:

ls /dev/

Note: You may need to expand the terminal window so you can see all of the partitions.

You should get something like this:

[img width=414 height=420] a549aacd.jpg

What we want to do is find all of the partitions that start with "sd" We need to take note of their third letter, and the number of partitions.

For example, in my case, I had two devices that start with "sd", "sdA" with 1 partition, and "sdB" with 6 partitions.

Note: Every computer will have different combinations of third drive letters and partitions.

Because my phone is unplugged, I can take note that neither of these devices is my phone.

4.4: Now plug your phone in to your computer in Qualcomm mode (Power down.. Hold Vol+ and plug in USB)

and you might get this popup window:

[img width=581 height=420] 1e6208f5.jpg

Just press X and close it.

Go back to the terminal window and type the same command as before:

ls /dev/

You should get something like this:

[img width=414 height=420] 33fb6146.jpg

We can clearly see a new device that starts with "sd" has appeared after plugging in the phone in Qualcomm mode.

Note: If the new sd device is your phone, it MUST show exactly 9 partitions.

We now have our partition letter! (In my case its c)

Note: I'll repeat this again, your partition letter might NOT be c, every computer is different.

4.5: Now that we know our partition letter, we can determine the partition to backup/flash to.

Just plug in your partition letter in-place for X into this: sdX9

In my case, my partition that I must backup/flash is: sdc9

5. Now that we have determined the partition, we are now ready to back it up before flashing.

5.1: If you do not already have a terminal window open from the last step, open one now (ctrl + alt + t).

5.2: To back up the partition, enter this command into the terminal, replacing X with your partition letter determined in step 4:

dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9 of=backup9.nb

For example, because my partition letter is c I will replace X with c and type in this command:

dd if=/dev/sd[B]c[/B]9 of=backup9.nb

Note:

The dd command has no progress bar, it will be a white blinker until it is done.

The dd command will take a while 15-30 minutes to backup your entire partition.

The backup9.nb file will be around 8GB in size and will be stored in the Ubuntu Home folder.

5.3: Store backup9.nb somewhere safe! You will need it if your phone gets bricked!

6. The last step is to finally full unlock flash the firmware.

6.3: Now open up a terminal window if not already open (ctrl + alt + t)

Enter this command to elevate privileges:

sudo su
Note: You may need to enter your password to raise privileges

6.4: Now using the partition we obtained in step 4 (In my case: sdc9) use this command to flash your phone with the unlocked firmware:

dd if=os-new.nb of=/dev/sdX9
Replace X with your partition letter (In my case it's c)

so in my case I would enter:

dd if=os-new.nb of=/dev/sdc9

Note:

The dd command has no progress bar, it will be a white blinker until it is done.

The dd command will take a while 15-30 minutes to flash your entire partition.

6.5: Once it is done flashing, unplug your phone and exit Qualcomm mode by removing and replugging in your battery.

6.6: You must now do a hard reset by:

Holding POWER + VOLUMEDOWN + CAMERA until you feel the phone vibrate.

After that, RELEASE power button but KEEP HOLDING VOL- and the camera button for five or more seconds.

This will trigger the hard reset and your phone will start.

6.7: That is all, you now have a fully unlocked Lumia 710.

7. Now that you have a fully unlocked phone, you'll notice that if you try to sign in with your windows live ID, it will ask you for an activation code.

7.1: You can obtain an activation code from Microsoft here: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_selector_chat?ws=support#

7.2: Click on "General Inquiries about Microsoft Products and Services or Genuine Advantage Questions"

7.3: Now you'll need to chat with the Microsoft representative; tell the person that you accidentally did a hard-reset on your phone and it's now asking for an activation code.

7.4: Once you get an activation code, enter it in on your phone, and you're good to go.

8. How to install XAP apps...

To install XAP apps to your windows phone, You can do either of these two things:

A. Download an XAP app on the phone browser and install it from there.

-OR-

B. Deploy it to your phone from your pc.

In this step we will cover how to do procedure B.

Note: There are many custom XAP installers on xdadevelopers, however most are outdated/buggy, It's best to follow these steps with the official SDK.

8a. Download and install http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27570"]Windows Phone SDK 7.1

Note 1: Zune must be installed and OPENED before proceeding.

Note 2: The phone must be CONNECTED to zune and not in the lock-screen.

8b. Open the XAP deployment tool from here:

Start --> All Programs --> Windows phone developer tools --> Application Deployment

8c. In the Target drop-down box, select Windows Phone Device.

8d. Click Browse and locate the XAP file that you want deploy to the phone.

8e. Click the Deploy button. (It will take some time depending on the file-size)

Done.