How to hide non-music audio files from appearing in Android media player

Dj_cool

There’s a common Android problem of unwanted media files appearing in the song list of music players. This annoyingly causes your favorite songs to get mixed in with audio files associated with other apps, such as the audio files of games like Hawx and Avatar. There’s a simple solution for this issue: create a “.nomedia” file. Here’s an easy trick that should only take a couple of minutes to keep unwanted audio files from popping up. 1. On your computer, open Notepad. 2. Save the blank file as “.nomedia” Make sure that the Save as type is set as “All Files” instead of “Text documents” 3. Copy that file to the folder on your SD card containing audio files you don’t want to show up. (Example: If you want to block Hawx sound files from coming up, place the .nomedia file in the sdcard/gameloft/games/hawx/HERE) 4. Reboot your phone or run the media scanner and the files should no longer be viewable This same trick works for folders containing images or videos that you don’t want to appear in the Gallery app. The files will still be accessible from your original app or from any file explorer, but you’ll finally be able to stop hearing “Roger that” announcement after a great song :)

• 2 months later...

Great stuff, I will definitely be using this trick... My idea is to hide certain folders completely from Music / Media player....for example private photos / videos.... Will try to do it this way, hopefully it works for what I want it to do :) Update : Tried this on Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.0.4) Didn't work for me unfortunately. Folders I wanted to hide with music or videos still appeared in example Music Player / Video Player / Gallery