LOST DIR folder

do6z6z6or

it was taking up 5+ gigs an it kinda just appeared, the data that is. the file has always been there) after cleaning out my phone, so i figured it was kinda like a trash can. i empied it. lol. i know its a system file on android devices, but what purpose does it serve?

it was taking up 5+ gigs an it kinda just appeared, the data that is. the file has always been there) after cleaning out my phone, so i figured it was kinda like a trash can. i empied it. lol. i know its a system file on android devices, but what purpose does it serve?

It is a storage area for files that were "recovered" during the Android OS startup fsck (File System ChecK, I believe, not what you were thinking...) which is sorta like the old DOS chkdsk program. Files that are found to be messed up, like from maybe pulling your SD card while it was being written to, are stored with random names into LOST.DIR, where they just sit forever, generally. You could do some recovery work on them, if you knew exactly what you were looking for and needed something back desperately.

Its OK to delete the files, if any, in that directory, but if you delete the directory the mount process will just recreate it on boot-up during the new fsck. If you have files in there, it indicates that something was found to be wrong with your file system on that drive at some point.

Hope you understand these things

I can dig it. makes perfect sense...while were on the subject why will Root File Manager b working just fine an then all of a sudden just repeatedly force close on me. it happens with other apps sometimes also. but mostly just root file mgr, and e3 file explorer. i understand some of this android stuff, not alot though ive eatin a proclaim, and a precedent learning what i know about rooting and all that jazz. im on a rooted proclaim again and found out about the new goodies available today.

• 5 months later...
It is a storage area for files that were "recovered" during the Android OS startup fsck (File System ChecK, I believe, not what you were thinking...) which is sorta like the old DOS chkdsk program. Files that are found to be messed up, like from maybe pulling your SD card while it was being written to, are stored with random names into LOST.DIR, where they just sit forever, generally. You could do some recovery work on them, if you knew exactly what you were looking for and needed something back desperately.

Its OK to delete the files, if any, in that directory, but if you delete the directory the mount process will just recreate it on boot-up during the new fsck. If you have files in there, it indicates that something was found to be wrong with your file system on that drive at some point.
Ranjan Kumar