[Tutorial] Install CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Motorola Defy/Defy+

Die2mrw007

Hello,

First of all, thx for your great tuto, one of the clearest available on the net!

But I'm experiencing similar doubts as here:

I have a MB525 Defy, which was bought retail without operator. Originally in Froyo 2.2.2, but I do not have my original ROM...

Followed these steps:

1 - RDSlite with JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf (the only one sbf I found which works).

2 - Root the phone with SuperOneClick 2.3.1

3 - Copying bootmenu_v0.5.1_ksubedi files to sdcard

3 - Using ADB to manually copy and install 2ndInit bootmenu (works just fine)

4 - As listed in the tuto, copy these files to sdcard:

- CM10-20120924-NIGHTLY-defy.zip (from Quarks.ru)

- kernel-froyo-222-179-4-signed.zip

- gapps-jb-20120726-minimal.zip

5 - Reboot in recovery (blue led + volume down working)

6 - Recovery > Custom Recovery > "Wipe data/factory reset" + "Wipe cache partition"

7 - Install zip from sdcard > Choose > CM10-20120924-NIGHTLY-defy.zip

8 - Advanced > "Wipe Dalvik Cache" + "Wipe Battery Stats"

10 - Install zip from sdcard > Choose > kernel-froyo-222-179-4-signed.zip

11 - Install zip from sdcard > Choose > gapps-jb-20120726-minimal.zip

(All zip installed without any errors whatsoever)

12 - Reboot

Default white Motorola logo shows up. Wait for more than 15mins, nothing happens......

Try another reboot... Remove battery... Start... White Moto logo... Wait... Nothing...

Any suggestions?

As I still have the flash device detected by the PC, I've redo the whole procedure and tried another sbf mentionned in other posts: JRDNEM_U3_3.4.2_164-003_BLUR_SIGN_SIGNED

Now, the phone isn't starting at all... No flashing device detected anymore...

I hope it's just a matter of battery. I have to recharge it out of the phone, just to be sure.

Thx for any clue about why the fisrt tries didn't go further than the white logo?

Regards

First i would like to warmly welcome you to Gizmolord Forum.

Regarding your issue:

I'm not exactly sure why it is happening.

But try this steps for flashing CM10 JB:

- Reboot into recovery

- Wipe data/factory reset

- Install the kernel

- Install CM10

- Install Gapps

- Wipe dalvik/cache

Also here's a link of some SBF's

Make sure it runs properly when rooted first, if it does then only try flashing with CM10.

Hope it helps

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am facing problems with my defy+ 1. battery cant b charged above 80% 2. no ringtone can b heard when someone calls as well as message notifications....but its working fine in whatsapp.. plz plz help HELP...!!!! :facepalm: :facepalm: or can i install an old version?? i have installed 24th september one..so can i try 12th september one?? @-) @-)

i am having defy+ and facing some battery issues. fone is not getting charged above 80%.. plz reply as soon as possible..  :-w :-w

thanx!!

i am facing problems with my defy+

1. battery cant b charged above 80%

2. no ringtone can b heard when someone calls as well as message notifications....but its working fine in whatsapp..

plz plz help HELP...!!!! :facepalm: :facepalm:

or can i install an old version?? i have installed 24th september one..so can i try 12th september one?? @-) @-)

Hi, for defy+ with the new builds it should normally work properly.

Make sure you wipe battery cache, in recovery menu/boot menu. And then make sure you keep it charged till 100%

If it still doesn't work, you can flash with this fix, again please make sure you wipe your battery cache first !

all the steps done! but after the final reboot my defy doesnt work  :facepalm:

it only shows the cyanogenmod animation....

any suggestions???

For how long did you leave it on the cyanogenmod animation, cause the first boot normally takes time? if not try removing the battery for 2-5 mins, and try again.

all the steps done! but after the final reboot my defy doesnt work  :facepalm:

it only shows the cyanogenmod animation....

any suggestions???

it takes some time for the first boot....like somewhat around 5 minutes maximum I guess.

If still it doesnt pass the boot animation, just remove the battery and re-insert it.

Then power it ON, go to recovery boot menu by pressing volume down key.

Wipe Factory/data cache

and then restart.

Hi, for defy+ with the new builds it should normally work properly.

Make sure you wipe battery cache, in recovery menu/boot menu. And then make sure you keep it charged till 100%

If it still doesn't work, you can flash with this fix, again please make sure you wipe your battery cache first !

thank u for the fix!!!!

it worked!!!!  :-bd \m/ :yahoo:

Thanks man, i followed the steps and it works pretty fine...

just one thing: The battery Fix don't work in my device... i have a Defy+ MB256.

anyone knows what i have to do?

did you clear your battery cache from boot menu? And charge your phone to 100% in switched off mode.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Die2mrw007 really appreciate the JellyBean! Awesomely stable... However, I came across this bug that doesnt allow me to apply Live wallpapers  :poker: Can anyone help? If yes, PM at no******@gmail.com

TY:)

~LordXavius

:-bd There is no victory without sacrifice  :-bd

//edited by shivam94 

//Reason : Sharing of email address.

Hey Die2mrw007 really appreciate the JellyBean! Awesomely stable... However, I came across this bug that doesnt allow me to apply Live wallpapers  :poker: Can anyone help? If yes, PM at no******@gmail.com

TY:)

~LordXavius

:-bd There is no victory without sacrifice  :-bd

welcome, first of please do not share email addresses in posts. For the live wallpaper not showing, it depends on the version you have downloaded, as the Rom creator had disabled them. So that's probably one of the reasons you may not be having it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Hey this is really awesome, thanks for sharing bro, btw can you list things that are still buggy also??

Hello

I am using this ROM for last week. I want to report some problems:

1. If I receive an incoming call still phone rings for 2 seconds.

2.When call is ended, very disturbing noise is audible for fraction of time.

3.In-call settings not available. (if yes, please navigate me there)

4.any software suddenly prompts "force close or wait" promt (not much frequently)

Thats it. rest is working fine.

Thanks.

First of all thanks to entire CyanogenMod community and Quarx in specific for tireless development for Defy+ device. Appreciate it!  . Also thank you Die2mrw007 for writing this perfect guide on how to install the Cyanogenmod as well as the one for rooting our devices.

I used the CM10-20120924-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip for installation

I would like to give some updates on the status of various issues as well as some pointers for beginners:

1) The latest build is perfectly stable and Defy+ works noticeably faster than with the factory ROM.

2) Battery wasn't an issue. You dont need to download any app for battery calibration just do the following:

• Let the mobile discharge till 0% where it will shut down automatically
  • Charge the device WITHOUT TURNING IT ON
  • When the indicator turns GREEN from the original WHITE, it means your 100% charged. Now power on the device
  • After following this ones you should be able to charge till 100% even when the device has not been fully discanrged and there is no need to power off the device while charging
3) Wifi-tethering-> worked the first time I tried but didn't work there after. Just kept showing the message "Turning Wi-Fi on...."

4) The video shooting problem seems to have been fixed in the recent build. The camera is not the strongest point in Defy+ anyway. Don't think i'll ever be shooting videos with it!!

Again thanks to all the developers and Cyanogen community for this!! JellyBean just ROCKS :)

Another thing I wanted to mention is that initially I had a problem that whenever I made a call the screen just turned off and no matter how many times I pressed the power button both in the call and after the call ended the screen just wouldnt wake up. In the original(factory) ROM I had a similar problem where the screen would not turn on after I had taken the phone off my ear but when I pressed the Power button it would turn back on. So naturally I thought there was a problem with the CyanogenMod and this was very annoying. As it turns out the actual problem existed with my screen-guard :P and once I peeled it off the phone everything worked just fine. :)

First i would like to warmly welcome you to Gizmolord Forum.

Thx!

Regarding your issue:

I'm not exactly sure why it is happening.

But try this steps for flashing CM10 JB:

- Reboot into recovery

- Wipe data/factory reset

- Install the kernel

- Install CM10

- Install Gapps

- Wipe dalvik/cache

Thx for the tips, but... Actually, I'm not even able to go into recovery mode... The only "living" thing is the white led when connected to USB port...

I suspected a lack battery power, I bought an external battery charger (since battery won't charge into the Defy if it's dead), but voltmeter shows 3,18v for a 3,7v nominal, which should be enough to start recovery mode or flash mode.

Hey, So I followed all your steps and it seemed as it had worked... But after my defy's finally started up there's the android assistant manager and the text that i should touch the android to start. But everytime I click on the android the setup assistant starts again and everything is repeating itself ... What can I do or what is the problem? Is there any possibility to get rid of the assistant manager? Would be great if someone could help me... Thanks

Hey,

So I followed all your steps and it seemed as it had worked...

But after my defy's finally started up there's the android assistant manager and the text that i should touch the android to start. But everytime I click on the android the setup assistant starts again and everything is repeating itself ...

What can I do or what is the problem? Is there any possibility to get rid of the assistant manager? Would be great if someone could help me...

Thanks

where exactly the assistant manager you are talking about? You mean the recovery boot menu?

Try with wipe factory cache and restarting the device. It should work fine... btw, which phone you are using? Is it defy mb525 or defy+ mb526?

Sent from my Motorola Defy+ running Android 4.1.2 Jellybean

where exactly the assistant manager you are talking about? You mean the recovery boot menu?

Try with wipe factory cache and restarting the device. It should work fine... btw, which phone you are using? Is it defy mb525 or defy+ mb526?

Sent from my Motorola Defy+ running Android 4.1.2 Jellybean

Thx so far..

It is definitly the MB525! Well, there's the CM9 Bootupscreen, I then normally unlock my phone with my PIN. Afterwards I'm asked to configure my account and setup the language. And this is where the problems start....

Thx so far..

It is definitly the MB525! Well, there's the CM9 Bootupscreen, I then normally unlock my phone with my PIN. Afterwards I'm asked to configure my account and setup the language. And this is where the problems start....

There shouldn't be android assistant (where you touch the android green bot) after installing this ROM. Can you anyhow post a picture of the screen about the so called assistant manager so that we get to know more what exactly is happening with you.

I guess, the ROM isnt been installed successfully to your device. You sure, you rooted your phone before trying to install the ROM?