[Tutorial] Install CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Motorola Defy/Defy+

Die2mrw007

im currently running cm7 on my bayers (red lense defy) on mb525 defy...i want to upgrade to cm10 nightly qurx build...so which kernal i should install...? and is it ok to install cm10 on cm7 ? thnx fr ur support

I'm guessing you can install cm10 nightly over cm7, although still haven't tried it, die2mrw007 would be able to guide you through that, as he has the same phone. As for kernal i guess u have to use the gingerbread version

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im currently running cm7 on my bayers (red lense defy) on mb525 defy...i want to upgrade to cm10 nightly qurx build...so which kernal i should install...? and is it ok to install cm10 on cm7 ? thnx fr ur support

The tutorial mentions that you will need to use Froyo Kernel for Motorola Defy MB525 (green or red lens both)

Flashing with gingerbread kernel will give errors and slow boot, functioning of device.

I am using Defy + !! and i installed Karnel and when I clicked reboot now.. It only appear the M logo!! HELP dude!!

Please do correctly as per mentioned in tutorial....the tutorial says that for Defy+ users, you need not flash with any kernel file.

Please do not flash with kernel file and check with results. :)

Bro.. thanks for everything  :)>- but i am having a problem with the battery.. I will never charge up to 100%.. It was stop at 83%  :(

Please HELP with this problem  :)

just let your phone run till the battery drains completely, then when it switches off, plug in your charger and let it charge to 100% in switched off mode, after that is done remove the charger and start up the phone. This should work for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I am using Motorola Defy + mb 526, i have recently upgraded my phone to CM9 jordan from 2.3.4,  do i have to follow the same process or any other step is required.

And the CM10 you have mentioned, is country specific ( i am in INDIA), cause i read people not able to do LU.

Thanking You

Yes follow the same steps as mentioned, i use a Defy+ and have updated to CM10 (India User), you will probably have to change your baseband though.

Currently on 12/09 nightly, and few tweaks, it's runs quite smoothly... Love it. Also 720p video recording is added for defy(+) red lens in the latest build 24/09 and the build is said to be faster than the one I'm using, gonna update and check. Any help regarding boosting ram management tricks, don't hesitate to ask here, will try helping to the best of my knowledge Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Currently on 12/09 nightly, and few tweaks, it's runs quite smoothly... Love it. Also 720p video recording is added for defy(+) red lens in the latest build 24/09 and the build is said to be faster than the one I'm using, gonna update and check.

Any help regarding boosting ram management tricks, don't hesitate to ask here, will try helping to the best of my knowledge

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Please share some ram management tips here....even I am in need of such

Please share some ram management tips here....even I am in need of such

I'm still trying to find out better ways to aquire proper ram management, but for now i can list a few.

1. Under developer setting, limit background processes between 2-4.

2. Under performance setting, tick 16bit transparency & allow purging of assets.

3. Install some ram managers like Rom toolbox or system tuner pro (i think it come inbuilt with the rom). Set the auto memory manager preset to aggressive mode.

4. Increase the cache limit of your sd card, which does help with smoother running of many apps. You can use Rom toolbox or SD tools to change (my is set at 2048)

5. Find the best clock & vsel settings for your phone. My values are as below using OnDemand Governor (Change at own risk)

300Mhz - 30v

600Mhz - 46v

800Mhz - 52v

1000Mhz - 58v

Use Smartass Governor if you want it to run at max speed all the time, though battery drains faster.

Remember i use a Defy+ so these may not necessarily work for you, try at your own risk. Also your battery may drain faster if you play a lot of games etc, for me its runs for 15+ hrs and i haven't restarted my device in 2days since i've made these changes. Hope this helps most of you. will try making a detailed post later on when i find more ways :)

I followed this advice, and reboot .. and now the fun starts .. landing into bootloader recovering from usb, it will be long night now :(

The rooting procedure might have not proven successful. Try it once again, it will definitely work :)

what if i want official gingerbread again in my device?  is it possible to get it back?

Definitely, you can get back your Stock ROM -Gingerbread 2.3 later upon flashing with stock sbf file.

You can even take a backup of stock rom via CWM recovery if the phone is rooted.

but die told me that defey + gated ICS official :-/

I never said such :-/

Hello,

First of all, thx for your great tuto, one of the clearest available on the net!

But I'm experiencing similar doubts as here:

Ok, these are my exact steps

I have a MB525 Defy, which was bought retail without operator. Originally in Froyo 2.2.2, but I do not have my original ROM...

Followed these steps:

1 - RDSlite with JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf (the only one sbf I found which works).

2 - Root the phone with SuperOneClick 2.3.1

3 - Copying bootmenu_v0.5.1_ksubedi files to sdcard

3 - Using ADB to manually copy and install 2ndInit bootmenu (works just fine)

4 - As listed in the tuto, copy these files to sdcard:

- CM10-20120924-NIGHTLY-defy.zip (from Quarks.ru)

- kernel-froyo-222-179-4-signed.zip

- gapps-jb-20120726-minimal.zip

5 - Reboot in recovery (blue led + volume down working)

6 - Recovery > Custom Recovery > "Wipe data/factory reset" + "Wipe cache partition"

7 - Install zip from sdcard > Choose > CM10-20120924-NIGHTLY-defy.zip

8 - Advanced > "Wipe Dalvik Cache" + "Wipe Battery Stats"

10 - Install zip from sdcard > Choose > kernel-froyo-222-179-4-signed.zip

11 - Install zip from sdcard > Choose > gapps-jb-20120726-minimal.zip

(All zip installed without any errors whatsoever)

12 - Reboot

Default white Motorola logo shows up. Wait for more than 15mins, nothing happens......

Try another reboot... Remove battery... Start... White Moto logo... Wait... Nothing...

Any suggestions?

As I still have the flash device detected by the PC, I've redo the whole procedure and tried another sbf mentionned in other posts: JRDNEM_U3_3.4.2_164-003_BLUR_SIGN_SIGNED

Now, the phone isn't starting at all... No flashing device detected anymore...

I hope it's just a matter of battery. I have to recharge it out of the phone, just to be sure.

Thx for any clue about why the fisrt tries didn't go further than the white logo?

Regards

I have a Defy XT (Motorola Defy XT 535). Is it considered to belong to either the Defy or the Defy+ family for the purposes of rooting / modding? For Jelly Bean mods, I read that there are different versions of the ROM for Defy vs Defy+ and I was trying to figure out which I should be using, if any. Thanks in advance for any tips / inputs about this.

I have a Defy XT (Motorola Defy XT 535). Is it considered to belong to either the Defy or the Defy+ family for the purposes of rooting / modding? For Jelly Bean mods, I read that there are different versions of the ROM for Defy vs Defy+ and I was trying to figure out which I should be using, if any.

Thanks in advance for any tips / inputs about this.

If you are having Defy XT, please do not try any sort of ROM prepared for Defy MB525 and DEFY+ MB526

Defy XT in my info doesnt have any custom ROM but they do have a official 4.0 ICS ROM by Motorola.