[Tutorial] Create your own Custom Firmware!

Guest prayaas1998

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prayaas1998

It seems to me that you are not acquainted with the basics.. I will add some more things to the tutorial which will help you understand mods better.. :) Mods are of many types.. Usually, mods will be .rar or .zip files. Once you extract them, you'll get folder(s). Complete till Step 7 in the tutorial. Now you'll see that a folder in the mod and the rofs2 will have a common name, say Private. Just paste the entire folder itself (Private) from the mod to the rofs2 folder. It will ask whether to replace some files. Click on yes. Your mod gets applied. Just complete the remaining steps and Viola!

Guest prayaas1998

You'll need to go step by step.. I only gave Private as example.. You have to paste the mod in the corresponding folder in rofs2. eg. if mod has resource folder, copy the whole folder and paste into rofs2. This will replace some files. Or, you can put the contents of resource in the resource folder of rofs2. :) As for HS, Symbols etc. I'll tell you later. :) And another thing. It can't be YOUR ofw. :P OFW is always from Nokia. You make a CFW based on OFW. Many people confuse the terms 'Custom FW' and 'Ported FW'.

• 4 weeks later...

yes bro i m new to dis.

Should put mod only in private?

Or in sub folder of private?

the most simple example..

If u r using win7!!

Goto the MOD location , select all its contents, Press ctrl+c

Now come to the location where ur rofs2 is extracted..

Open the RM-xxx folder in NFEStd, thn open ROFS2 folder n press Ctrl+V

Now when prompted select merge all folders and copy and replace files....

Your MOD is now in rofs2..:)

• 3 months later...

Hello Prayaas, Very good tutorial. I just want to ask, will you please tell me what files are for changing menu and other icons, and how to change the startup and ending splash screens? And one more thing, how to change text like for General profile and Swipe to unlock? I'm new to cooking my own fw, but there are SO MANY files and I'm confused, So much! Please help me :) P. S. I'm using NFE for extracting, modifying and repacking rofs2 file.

Hello Prayaas, Very good tutorial. I just want to ask, will you please tell me what files are for changing menu and other icons, and how to change the startup and ending splash screens? And one more thing, how to change text like for General profile and Swipe to unlock? I'm new to cooking my own fw, but there are SO MANY files and I'm confused, So much! Please help me :)

P. S. I'm using NFE for extracting, modifying and repacking rofs2 file.

For menu and other icons...all the core icons are present in series60.mif file (when you extract it, you will get all the icons in svgb image format)

and folder icons are present mostly present in rofs2/resource/apps/

Remember: all the icons will are packed in .mif format

For startup, the file name is Splashscreen.mif

For shutdown, the file name is SysApp.mif

Extract the .mif file using SisContents tool and you will find the Nokia image inside it in .svgb image format.

If you want to have your own custom image as startup and shutdown screen, you need to convert your jpeg image in .svg or .svgb format and then pack it in .mif format.

FOr changing the general profile name, it is a cenrep text edit which is found inside rofs2/private/10202be9 folder

This is the file name: 101F8798.txt

Find this entry:

0x2 string "" 16777216 cap_rd=alwayspass cap_wr=WriteDeviceData

Replace with this:

0x2 string "Type your profile name" 16777216 cap_rd=alwayspass cap_wr=WriteDeviceData

For menu and other icons...all the core icons are present in series60.mif file (when you extract it, you will get all the icons in svgb image format)

Extract the .mif file using SisContents tool and you will find the Nokia image inside it in .svgb image format.

If you want to have your own custom image as startup and shutdown screen, you need to convert your jpeg image in .svg or .svgb format and then pack it in .mif format.

FOr changing the general profile name, it is a cenrep text edit which is found inside rofs2/private/10202be9 folder

Find this entry:

Replace with this:

0x2 string "Type your profile name" 16777216 cap_rd=alwayspass cap_wr=WriteDeviceData

+1 for u. I wish I could give u a +1000 for that. :P

Thanks so much!! :)

Just one last question, I want to write my own custom text on swipe to unlock. Please help me for editing popupclock.r01.!!! Please please, I tried to edit with hex editor, but So much of coding got me confused what to edit, what not to.

Hey, how to extract icons from ofw rofs2 file?? I could not not find any series60.mif file in rofs2/resources/apps? :-/

Copy all the .mif files from rofs/resource/apps to another folder of same name.

Then open resource/skins/ and copy 101f84b9 to some other place.

When making ur cfw, just paste this respective files and folders to the exact place from where u have taken it.

Copy all the .mif files from rofs/resource/apps to another folder of same name.

Then open resource/skins/ and copy 101f84b9 to some other place.

When making ur cfw, just paste this respective files and folders to the exact place from where u have taken it.

That's ok, thanks for that, but I just want those to put in my theme. How to get all those icons? A file with .skn extension having all the ofw icons of Nokia 5233.???

And I couldn't find resource/skins/ and file 101f84b9 in ofw files?

Find this entry:

Replace with this:

SisContents is not opening mif files! It only opens sis files. What to do?? :(