[Information] Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian

Tristar

Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian

Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian is a deployment solution that ensures that third-party applications always have access to the required versions of their dependent libraries. The most common use is to declare dependency to Qt libraries to ensure end users who install Qt applications have latest Qt libraries available for the application.

This article provides an overview of the Smart Installer, lists of the dependency libraries it can deliver, and links for more information. For more concise information of what Qt modules are supported in Symbian devices at the moment and what modules are available via Smart Installer refer to: Support for Symbian topic from Qt Developer Network.

Smart Installer is enabled to Symbian application installation package (SIS-file) when applications are created. Developer enables this via Qt SDK (see below Develop & Publish section). Within Qt SDK the developer defines the dependent libraries that the application needs to the qmake .pro file. Qt SDK packages Smart Installer bootstrap component to the SIS file. Then application can be deployed, for example, to Nokia Store. Once end user has downloaded a Smart Installer enabled package the device starts the install process for this package. During this step the first thing to happen is that the Smart Installer bootstrap component part of the package initiates the library dependency checking process before actually installing the application itself. The dependency checking process requires another component called Smart Installer ADM. The ADM component itself is downloaded and updated when necessary to the device. Once Smart Installer has updated other necessary libraries to the device it installs the actual application.

Availability

Current release: 1.1 (SIS package version 0.46.0)

The current version of the Smart Installer bootstrap is included in the Qt SDK. You can easily enable Smart Installer packing to your Qt application from Qt Creator project settings. Remote Compiler for Mac and Linux can also create Smart Installer enabled packages.

Develop & Publish

The Qt Creator IDE of Qt SDK provides a "Create Smart Installer package" switch in Projects view in Symbian Device Build (for Windows) and Remote Compiler (for Mac/Linux) settings. This bundles Smart Installer's bootstrap component as part of the application SIS file. Note that in Windows the Qt Creator build for Symbian Device outputs two SIS files other without Smart Installer and another with Smart Installer (look for "installer" in the SIS name to find the Smart Installer enabled SIS file). The qmake .pro file is used to control the necessary UIDs that are generated during the build process to .pkg files and to the SIS files. The idea is that Qt application developers do not touch .pkg files but add relevant information to .pro file instead.

Here is a guide that details the manual steps to take to package your SIS with the Nokia Smart Installer if you do not want to use Qt Creator: Smart Installer for Symbian Manual.

This video also shows you how to use Qt Creator in Windows to enable Smart Installer in application SIS package:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwNlPoObvI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

Packages distributed by Smart Installer

The following libraries are currently hosted on Nokia's Smart Installer server and can be declared as dependencies by applications packaged with the Smart Installer solution.

Qt 4.6.3 release for Symbian 3rd and 5th Edition

[table]

[tr]

[td] Package name     

[/td]

[td] Package UID     

[/td]

[td] Package version     

[/td]

[td] Download size     

[/td]

[td] Drive space required     

[/td]

[td]Installation Drive     

[/td]

[td] Description     

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Stdcpp

[/td]

[td] 0x2000F866

[/td]

[td] 1.6.0

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[td] c:\

[/td]

[td] Standard C++ library Common

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] OpenC_SSL

[/td]

[td] 0x200110CB

[/td]

[td] 1.6.0

[/td]

[td] 0.8 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.8 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Open C LIBSSL Common

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] PIPS

[/td]

[td] 0x20013851

[/td]

[td] 1.6.0

[/td]

[td] 1.2 MB

[/td]

[td] 1.4 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] PIPS Installer

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Sqlite

[/td]

[td] 0x2002AF5F

[/td]

[td] 0.5.0

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Sqlite library

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Qt

[/td]

[td] 0x2001E61C

[/td]

[td] 4.6.3

[/td]

[td] 5.8 MB

[/td]

[td] 5.9 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Qt libraries

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtWebKit

[/td]

[td] 0x200267C2

[/td]

[td] 4.6.3

[/td]

[td] 2.9 MB

[/td]

[td] 3.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtWebKit library

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtMobility

[/td]

[td] 0x2002AC89

[/td]

[td] 1.0.2

[/td]

[td] 1.0 MB

[/td]

[td] 1.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtMobility library

[/td][/tr][/table]

Qt 4.7.3 release for S60 5th Edition

[table]

[tr]

[td] Package name     

[/td]

[td] Package UID     

[/td]

[td] Package version     

[/td]

[td] Download size     

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Installation drive     

[/td]

[td] Description     

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Stdcpp

[/td]

[td] 0x2000F866

[/td]

[td] 1.7.0

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Standard C++ library Common

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] OpenC_SSL

[/td]

[td] 0x200110CB

[/td]

[td] 1.7.0

[/td]

[td] 0.8 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.8 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Open C LIBSSL Common

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] PIPS

[/td]

[td] 0x20013851

[/td]

[td] 1.7.5

[/td]

[td] 1.2 MB

[/td]

[td] 1.4 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] PIPS Installer

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Sqlite

[/td]

[td] 0x2002AF5F

[/td]

[td] 0.5.0

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.2 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Sqlite library

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Qt

[/td]

[td] 0x2001E61C

[/td]

[td] 4.7.3

[/td]

[td] 5.8 MB

[/td]

[td] 5.9 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Qt libraries

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtWebKit 2.0

[/td]

[td] 0x200267C2

[/td]

[td] 4.7.3

[/td]

[td] 2.9 MB

[/td]

[td] 3.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtWebKit 2.0 library

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtMobility

[/td]

[td] 0x2002AC89

[/td]

[td] 1.1.3

[/td]

[td] 1.0 MB

[/td]

[td] 1.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtMobility library

[/td][/tr][/table]

Qt 4.7.3 release for Symbian Anna and Symbian^3

[table]

[tr]

[td] Package name     

[/td]

[td] Package UID     

[/td]

[td] Package Version     

[/td]

[td] Download size     

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Installation drive     

[/td]

[td] Description     

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Qt

[/td]

[td] 0x2001E61C

[/td]

[td] 4.7.3

[/td]

[td] 5.8 MB

[/td]

[td] 5.9 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Qt libraries

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtWebKit 2.1

[/td]

[td] 0x200267C2

[/td]

[td] 4.8.0

[/td]

[td] 2.9 MB

[/td]

[td] 3.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtWebKit 2.1 library

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtMobility

[/td]

[td] 0x2002AC89

[/td]

[td] 1.1.3

[/td]

[td] 1.0 MB

[/td]

[td] 1.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtMobility library

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Qt 4.7.4 release for Symbian Anna and Symbian^3

[table]

[tr]

[td] Package name     

[/td]

[td] Package UID     

[/td]

[td] Package version     

[/td]

[td] Download size     

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Installation drive     

[/td]

[td] Description     

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Qt

[/td]

[td] 0x2001E61C

[/td]

[td] 4.7.4

[/td]

[td] 7.7 MB

[/td]

[td] 7.6 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Qt libraries

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtWebKit 2.1

[/td]

[td] 0x200267C2

[/td]

[td] 4.8.1

[/td]

[td] 4.4 MB

[/td]

[td] 4.6 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtWebKit 2.1 library

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] QtMobility

[/td]

[td] 0x2002AC89

[/td]

[td] 1.2.1

[/td]

[td] 2.4 MB

[/td]

[td] 3.0 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] QtMobility library

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Symbian Belle release has Qt 4.7.4, Mobility 1.2.0 and WebKit 2.1.1 (4.8.1) in-built in ROM. Hence Smart Installer won't deliver any updates for Symbian Belle devices. This will be the case in the future Symbian releases as well. Qt is released as part of Symbian release and is not planned to be updated via Smart Installer, only via firmware update.

Note: Mobility 1.2.1 provided by Smart Installer is minor update to 1.2.0 in-built in Belle. Belle devices will get Mobility 1.2.1 via firmware update.

Qt Quick Components for Symbian Anna and Belle

Qt Quick Components is a separate add-on module on top of Qt Quick. Qt Quick itself is part of Qt starting from Qt 4.7. See description of difference between Qt Quick and Qt Quick Components from API reference.

[table]

[tr]

[td] Package name     

[/td]

[td] Package UID     

[/td]

[td] Package version     

[/td]

[td] Download size     

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Installation drive     

[/td]

[td] Description     

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Qt Quick Components 1.1

[/td]

[td] 0x200346DE

[/td]

[td] 1.1

[/td]

[td] 1.6 MB

[/td]

[td] ? kB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Qt Quick Components 1.1 is a set of UI components to be used in Qt Quick applications. These components implement the updated Symbian Design Guidelines. The Qt Quick Components 1.1 include key new features over 1.0 release.

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Note:Qt Quick Components 1.0 package is not anymore available in Smart Installer. Smart Installer will only provide Qt Quick Components 1.1 package. 1.1 package includes both Qt Quick Components versions 1.0 and 1.1.

Notifications API

[table]

[tr]

[td] Package name       

[/td]

[td] Package UID   

[/td]

[td] Version   

[/td]

[td] Download size   

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Installation drive   

[/td]

[td] Description   

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] ClientPlatform (Symbian^1/S60)

[/td]

[td] 0x1028299F

[/td]

[td] 8.2.340

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[td] Notifications API support

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ovi Notifications Support Package (Symbian^1/S60, Qt 4.6)

[/td]

[td] 0x2002EAB3

[/td]

[td] 1.1.11130

[/td]

[td] 0.1 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.1 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ovi Notifications Support Package (Symbian^1/S60, Qt 4.7)

[/td]

[td] 0x2002EAB3

[/td]

[td] 1.2.11130

[/td]

[td] 0.1 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.1 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ovi Notifications Support Package Launcher (Symbian^1/S60, Qt 4.7) 

[/td]

[td] 0x2002EAB4

[/td]

[td] 1.2.11130

[/td]

[td] 0.6 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.7 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ovi Notifications Support Package Launcher (Symbian^3, Qt 4.6)

[/td]

[td] 0x2002EAB4

[/td]

[td] 1.1.11130

[/td]

[td] 1.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 1.3 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] SSO (Symbian^3, Qt 4.7)

[/td]

[td] 0x2002615B

[/td]

[td] 1.3.11120

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] SSO (Symbian^3, Qt 4.6)

[/td]

[td] 0x2002615B

[/td]

[td] 1.3.11119

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] SSO Ui (Symbian^3, Qt 4.7)

[/td]

[td] 0x20026190

[/td]

[td] 1.3.11120

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] SSO Ui (Symbian^3, Qt 4.6)

[/td]

[td] 0x20026190

[/td]

[td] 1.3.11119

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] SSO Username widget (Symbian^3)

[/td]

[td] 0x2002619E

[/td]

[td] 1.0.0

[/td]

[td] 0.3 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.9 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ovi-shared widget (Symbian^3)

[/td]

[td] 0x20026191

[/td]

[td] 1.0.0

[/td]

[td] 0.6 MB

[/td]

[td] 0.7 MB

[/td]

[/td]

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Supported Devices

Smart Installer is fully supported in Symbian Anna and Symbian^3 devices. Earlier devices or OS releases have limitations as explained below. Moreover, Symbian Belle devices have Qt in ROM and it is not intended to be updated by applications via Smart Installer but only when user does device firmware upgrade via Ovi Suite or over-the-air.

From a pure technical perspective the solution is designed to work with all Symbian/S60 3.1 and later devices. There are however some exceptions which are listed under Devices not supported by Smart Installer. The Smart Installer solution can be used to deploy any of the supported products to any of these devices, provided that proper compatibility testing is done for the application itself.

Please note that the Smart Installer will check with the server if the device is known and supported, and this verification will fail for non-Nokia devices using Symbian OS.

Devices with limited Smart Installer support

[table]

[tr]

[td] Device name

[/td]

[td] Reason

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] All S60 3rd Ed FP1 (S60 3.1) and S60 3rd Ed FP2 (S60 3.2)   

[/td]

[td] Qt 4.7 is not supported on these devices. The Smart Installer can only deploy Qt 4.6 to them.

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] All S60 3rd (3.1/3.2) and 5th Edition devices

[/td]

[td] Qt Quick Components is not supported on these devices. Note: S60 5th Edition devices support Qt 4.7 which contains Qt Quick. In S60 5th Ed. however, Qt Quick Components are currently not supported.

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Nokia 6650 AT&T variant

[/td]

[td] PIPS cannot be upgraded and therefore Smart Installer cannot deploy Qt to this device.

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td] Nokia N96

[/td]

[td] Not supported by Qt

[/td][/tr]

[tr]

[td]

[/td]

[td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Note: On all Symbian devices prior to Symbian Belle Qt and Open C components are installed (e.g. via Smart Installer) or pre-installed (in the factory or support service) as part the user data in the content of the device C:\ drive. It is a known issue that after a hard reset of the phone relevant information required by the Smart Installer may be lost, which causes the installer to fail in deploying the required components.

Nokia Store support for Smart Installer based deployments

It is possible to use Smart Installer for different application deployment channels to Symbian devices e.g. for deployment via web pages. Nokia Store is however the preferred channel for application deployments.

Qt applications need to be Smart Installer enabled when deployed using Nokia Store. Nokia Store accepts Smart Installer packaged Qt applications for a number of Symbian and S60 devices. You can see the currently up to date list from the Distribute section of the Nokia Developer website. The list will be updated as more devices are added passing the acceptance testing.

Subscribe to this RSS feed to stay up-to-date with the changes in the list of devices supported by Nokia Store.

Where to find help?

If you are running into problems packaging your application with the smart installer, please post your questions on the Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian forum, in Nokia Developer's Discussion Boards.

The installer creates logs under c:\logs\ADM but you may need to create the directory first. Use a file manager which gives you full access to the file system, the built-in one shows c:\Data as the root of the phone memory. Use these logs to look for the source of the error and post the relevant parts with your problem description.

Of course, using Nokia Developer's Professional Support service is also an option.

well detailed post ... +1 for this post .. Can u plz provide me the OVI notification API ..because i m facing problem when i install the CNN application ..while installing, it says that "ovi notification API is missing" ... And smart installer doesn't work 4 me ..so i m trying to install the cnn app without smart installer ...n i hav all the qt stuffs installed on my mob ...

OMG, awesome work tristar :)

+5

thanks bro :D

well detailed post ...

+1 for this post ..

Can u plz provide me the OVI notification API ..because i m facing problem when i install the CNN application ..while installing, it says that "ovi notification API is missing" ...

And smart installer doesn't work 4 me ..so i m trying to install the cnn app without smart installer ...n i hav all the qt stuffs installed on my mob ...

yea i know the issue, i have already added the files check the post attachment, its the 1st attached file at the end of the post !! :P hope that helps, if u still can't install then let me know... :D

thanks bro :D

yea i know the issue, i have already added the files check the post attachment, its the 1st attached file at the end of the post !! :P hope that helps, if u still can't install then let me know... :D

The ovi notification package, u have posted here, is getting installed easily. But still I am getting error like "Ovi Notification API v1.1(11120) or newer is required", while installing the CNN App. Actually I need this app because it is the only news app which supports push notification into homescreen. But I m not getting the latest OVI Notification API anywhere. :(

The ovi notification package, u have posted here, is getting installed easily. But still I am getting error like "Ovi Notification API v1.1(11120) or newer is required", while installing the CNN App. Actually I need this app because it is the only news app which supports push notification into homescreen. But I m not getting the latest OVI Notification API anywhere. :(

ok ive attached the file to the 1st post, try it and let me know :)

ok ive attached the file to the 1st post, try it and let me know :)

While installing the Notifications_Support_Package_Symbian3_v1.1.11120.sis, 1st it says,"SSOUsernameWidget missing. Continue anyway?" then it says,"Component 'Notification' missing. Continue anyway?" ....after clicking yes, the installtion process starts and then gets cancelled .

While installing the Notifications_Support_Package_Symbian3_v1.1.11120.sis, 1st it says,"SSOUsernameWidget missing. Continue anyway?" then it says,"Component 'Notification' missing. Continue anyway?" ....after clicking yes, the installtion process starts and then gets cancelled .

yea don't use that, works for s^3 only...actually its best to use smartinstaller itself for this...using it i got my notifications updated to 1.02(11130), nez i'll keep searching for  way to get it to work offline...